CHECKLIST FOR E5400 SPUTTER COATER
IMPORTANT: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COAT SAMPLE IN THIS DEVICE IF THE GLUE
(CARBON OR SILVER PAINT) IS STILL OUTGASSING. STUBS SHOULD DRY AT LEAST
24 HOURS IN A DESSICATOR.
A. Check that the instrument panel is at stand-by or OFF.
NOTE: The VENT and LEAK valves are delicate. Gently turn
clockwise until you feel slight resistance, then stop.
- Check that VENT and LEAK valves are closed. Twist gently
- Check that the four position SELECTOR KNOB (OFF, PUMP, SET
HT, CONTROL) is set to OFF.
- Check that the VOLTAGE KNOB is set to 0.
- Turn on FILM THICKNESS MONITOR (metal box on top of Coating
- Turn on cooling water to specimen stage.
B. Load your samples.
- Open specimen chamber (lift aluminum lid back).
- Place up to 8 stubs in the chamber (DO NOT PUT STUB IN THE
- Carefully close the top and make certain it is centered on
the glass cylinder.
- Adjust height of the targe to that the shield is the same
height as the sample.
C. Flushing chamber.
- Make sure that specimen chamber is closed.
- Open the main valve on the Argon tank one half turn counter
clockwise (Gauge should be on the 5).
- Start the pump by moving the selector switch to PUMP.
- Allow the unit to pump to a vacuum of ~0.6 Pa.
- Open the LEAK valve counterclockwise to decrease the vacuum
to ~13 Pa (3-4 turns of knob). Allow the system to flush for 10-30 seconds and
then close the LEAK valve.
- Allow the system to pump again to a vacuum of ~0.6 Pa.
D. Setting tension.
- With VOLTAGE KNOB set to zero, rotate the SELECTOR KNOB to
- Adjust the VOLTAGE KNOB so that the DIGITAL PANEL METER reads
- Open the LEAK valve until a plasma current of 20mA is shown
on the meter.
- The DIGITAL PANEL METER should read 650-750V.
- Turn SELECTOR KNOB to CONTROL and set TIMER to 60 seconds.
E. Coating specimens.
- At the setting of 600V and 20mA an ultrafine coating of
gold/palladium 15-20 angstroms grain size coats your sample at 70 angstroms per
minute. A typical coating thickness of 150- 300 Angstroms is required.
- Zero the FILM THICKNESS MONITOR. If it doesn't zero, just
add your thickness to the total.
- Leave the density on the FILM THICKNESS MONITOR at 16.4.
- Press START button. Coating will commence for 60 seconds.
- Pause 30 seconds before pressing START button for additional coating.
- Repeat as necessary until a coating of 15-30 nm (as seen on
the thickness monitor) is obtained.
F. SPECIMEN REMOVAL/SHUTDOWN
- Set VOLTAGE KNOB to '0'.
- Close LEAK valve
- Turn SELECTOR KNOB to off
- Vent system to Argon by opening the vent valve one turn
- Wait for the chamber to come to atmospheric pressure.
- Close the chamber and close the VENT valve.
- Open the chamber and remove your samples.
- Turn off the Argon supply (main valve).
- Turn off FILM THICKNESS MONITOR.
- Turn off water to the specimen stage.
- Sign the log book.