CHECKLIST FOR Med 020 SPUTTER COATER
IMPORTANT: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COAT SAMPLES IN THIS DEVICE IF THE GLUE
(CARBON OR SILVER PAINT) IS STILL OUTGASSING. STUBS SHOULD DRY AT LEAST
24 HOURS IN A DESSICATOR.
A. Power on the machine.
- Turn on the BIG RED power button to the right of Med 020 coater
- Turn on the film thickness monitor (STM-100/MF Thickness/Rate Monitor).
B. Load your samples.
- Open specimen chamber (lift sputter head up slowly).
- Take out the stub holder, remove old useless carbon tape if necessary.
- Place stubs on the holder, adding carbon tape for S5000 sample stubs.
- Put back the stub holder, check stub holder height, to make it a little bit lower than the top level of chamber.
- Press "Rotary" button, then press "Speed" and "Up" buttons to set rotary speed to 2 bars, and press the "Rotary" button again to stop stub holder rotation.
- Press "Nominal Value" and "UP" buttons to set the value to 13.2.
- Close the shutter and lower the sputter head.
C. Flushing chamber.
- Make sure that specimen chamber is closed.
- Open the main valve on the Argon tank one half turn counter clockwise (Gauge should be on the 5).
- Start the pump by pressing the "standby" button, while holding down the chamber head.
- Allow the unit to pump to a vacuum of ~10-4 mbar.
- Press "FULL SPEED" button until you see PUMP on the screen. Allow to pump to 10-5 mbar, then press STANDBY again to reduce turbo
speed and wait 2 min.
- Press the ARGON button. Wait 60 seconds and the vacuum should decrease
to 10-2 mbar. If not, gently adjust Ar leak valve. Allow the system to flush for 1-2 minutes and
then press the Argon button to shut off the gas.
- Allow the system to pump again to a vacuum of ~10-5 mbar.
D. Coating Samples.
- Press the Argon button to allow argon to flow and vacuum should decrease to ~10-2 mbar.
- Press the "PROCESS LIMIT" button until TIME lights up on display.
- Press "ROTARY" button.
- Open shutter on top of sputter head.
- Press the "SENSOR ZERO" button on film thinkness monitor.
- Press the "Process ON" button to start coating. Plasma should ignite and you should see active depostion on the thickness monitor.
- After 50 seconds the plasma should shut off, allow it to cool for 30 seconds and then press PROCESS ON to start coating again.
- Continue coating the samples (PROCESS ON, cool for 30 seconds, PROCESS ON, etc..) until desired thickness is reached, which is usually 0.0020KA to 0.0030KA on the meter.
- Close the shutter right away.
F. Specimen removal/shutdown
- Turn off Argon buttons.
- Press "STANDBY" a longer time to allow the pump to shut off and vent.
- Press the "ROTARY" button to stop the rotation.
- Wait for the chamber to come to atmospheric pressure (1.3 +1).
- Open the chamber and remove your samples.
- Turn off the Argon supply (main valve).
- Close the chamber head.
- Turn off the film thickness monitor and the sputter coater.
- Sign the log book and checkout in the EML store.